"If You Can Be Inspired, You Can Achieve"


Right now I'm majoring in Communications, but I'd thought about it and saw that a business degree would go hand in hand with the vision I've dreamed about.


In this vision, there's a recreation center, but instead of it being there for athletics and etc, this recreation center would be for "Fine Arts". This art center would be available for children in underprivileged neighborhoods.  Children can go there to learn different aspects of vocal training, music composition, music history, dance, poetry, drawing, painting and sculpting. 

The idea came to me when I reminisced being a child and going to a rec center for summer camp. That was the one place where I could make friends, play different activities and I could escape from school and home.


Sadly in most cases, Fine Arts funding in schools will decrease before football, basketball or any other popular high school sport that people crave to see. In my opinion, it doesn't matter whether a child is interested in sports or performing arts. As long as these classes can stimulate their mind, provide mental development and inspire them to progress through life using key tools and tips they've learned from those activities.




In my situation, I couldn't imagine my life without music or theatre in it. Music speaks to me. It expresses different emotions that words couldn't. You could listen or play a song and depending on the mood of the song, it can separate your mind from reality. It has its highs and lows and every level in between. You can go from feeling happy, to feeling like you could conquer the world.
Theatre has it's highs and lows as well. I love watching performances as well as performing myself. There you are, staring into reality, and moments later your foot steps onstage and you're someone else. A completely, imagined character from a script.
The good thing about theatre is that it's okay to get out of your comfort zone, pretend to be Peter Pan, and shout to the world to say, "look what I can do".


That's why it would be a dream of mine. I want children to know that there's something in their lives that they could look forward to. Many kids in disadvantaged areas, are raised in broken and sometimes abusive homes. I ask myself everyday: "where and what inspires them in spite of the negative environment they grow up in"? Anyone can explore the depths of their mind in not just Theatre and music, but poetry, literature, dance, art, photography etc. It amazes me that someone---anyone can create art beginning with their mind, and showcasing it to the world. We can express our joy, love, laughter and even a personal, vulnerable side through the arts. That's why I feel it's important to have these studies in schools. It changes kids lives and for all we know, an art center could save a child's life. It can prevent gang involvement, drugs, sex and any other negative activity that can corrupt their mind. Instead we can encouraging them to progress forward to have a happier and successful future. Something they deserve. After all, God gave us all a mind. It's up to us to use it to its full potential.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Death Experience: My Battle With Sleep Paralysis

Ronald McDonald's a No-Go?: It's Not a McDonald's Thing It's A Parent's Thing

I Died and My Mom Laughed at My Corpse