Reality isn't everything. "I think, therefore I am".

Jana reached out her hands, pretending she was hugging some human form. It was an imaginary person of course. She called him JECK, which was the name of our four initials and the name of "our room". Yes we gave our room a name! J.E.C.K. stood for "Jana, Ebony, Charlene, and Kerrie". We lived together in one building working at the summer camp. 
I could hear a gut-busting laugh coming from all my co-workers including me. We were cleaning the chapel, getting ready for the next group of campers coming in for the TYI week (Territorial Youth Institute). I laughed because I was still surprised that Jana was claiming a space, an imaginary form, her friend. I thought it was lovely. It brought me back to the golden years as a kid and having the same thing....an imaginary friend. My friend's name was Jelly. We became friends when I was 10 and departed ways, when I finally became a teenager. It was sad. Going into the next chapter of my life at age 13, and realizing, for once that teddy bears, barbie dolls, and "imaginary friends weren't exactly the next big craze". I was finally growing up and leaving the old "fantasy world" behind.
That was then. When everything in the world, even reality seemed like dawn. There was always the sunshine lingering behind the clouds. That's what you saw when you were a kid. Everything in the world was good.

Now I have such a big responsibility on my shoulders and an adult. But I've transformed spiritually, mentally, physically, and in many other ways. But one thing that hasn't changed is how big my imagination is. I'm not afraid to dream. I'm not afraid to even imagine the great God lingering over all of us.

This is why I love children. I love working with them and I've have such a great experience here at summer camp. They are so spontaneous, so vibrant, and they are the biggest dreamers out there They teach us older generation to dream. Their whole lives are one big imaginary wonderland. So why can't many adults think the same way?
Sure it's all apart of growing up. Yes I left my imaginary friend at 13 years old, but my love to dream on the realm of my imagination never changed. In fact I think my imagination has grown even more.

And it brought me right back to what Jana did earlier this week in the chapel. She was a big kid... and wasn't afraid to dream.... for a 20 year old.  :-)

If we all truly reach deeper into our minds, there's so much in store for us in the future as individuals, families, organizations, and as a society. My question here is.... are you afraid to dream?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Death Experience: My Battle With Sleep Paralysis

Ronald McDonald's a No-Go?: It's Not a McDonald's Thing It's A Parent's Thing

I Died and My Mom Laughed at My Corpse