Me on American Idol? Ummm no thanks!

Honestly I think the only entertaining part about American Idol is watching the one's who can't sing. It's good to laugh at people making a fool of themselves. True story. It's much more tv-worthy.
What's even more funny is hearing the contestants tell the judges that they really believe that they can sing, when even Jesus knows those suckas don't stand a chance.
Don't get me wrong; the show's dozen-or-so finalists who do sing... have some talent. But because American Idol is a show more focused on image than talent, America votes "best personality", instead of "most talented". Yes the image is important but it seems like its the only thing you need these days to sky-rocket your music career. That's why I can't be apart of something so surreal and shallow. I get enough judgement from society telling me I'm not good enough let alone some singing (aka image) competition reality show.

People tell me many times that I should audition for A.I. and each time I say no. Each time I smirk and shake my head. We already have enough images, messages and ideas in the media alone promoting celebs to "go for the cash but do it in style". The mainstream music industry is a one-stop ticket to a universe of black and white. You either sing about sex, drugs, money, getting wasted, or dancing in the club. Yes the melodies and the beats are good but besides that there's no substance behind the lyrics. Honestly contemporary music today is more simplified. Simpe percussions, simple harmonizing chords. There's no curves, climaxes and lows to makde a song more original. It's only ENOUGH. It's always just ENOUGH to get people to listen--- to get by. People dance to songs more than I think about what the deeper meaning is. But as long as the song is ENOUGH --- you can become a superstar. Hey, look at Lady GaGa: proof. Yet I'm guilty of listening to her music. lol. AAAAAGGHGHG!
But won't we soon have average musicians if the music is only good enough to "just dance to"?

The mainstream is very highly stimulated in selling sounds and images of sex and emptiness it's very glamorous and can even be inspirational. But music has a long way to go before it heads back to a road of the raw, soulful game it use to play. A game that spits life and truth back into the storylines of the songs. Until then, sayanara mainstream! and no thanks American Idol!

Comments

  1. You make interesting points Ebony. I get frustrated by the personality contests as well. Plus being a cynic, the sob story ploys get to me as well. Sure I do care that people have hard lives, however they are cashing in on their heartache, with is morally suspect to me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Death Experience: My Battle With Sleep Paralysis

Ronald McDonald's a No-Go?: It's Not a McDonald's Thing It's A Parent's Thing

I Died and My Mom Laughed at My Corpse